Monday, October 1, 2012

What A Medium Sees


I have spent some time being a medium: that is, actually making money talking to dead people. And, to be honest, it's not my favorite thing to do. Recently, The Hermit's Lamp Gallery, has a new show coming up. The theme for this upcoming show is "Ancestors." I was going to do the whole skull still life thing, but then after talking to my friend Kit, who's also an artist, decided I really wanted to do something different.

After finishing school, I've been trying to figure out what I should do. Before, I've been heading to the comfortable place of painting landscapes, but that's not the kind of art that always speaks to me.

You can probably tell I'm influenced by Edward Munch in this painting. I like the haunted feeling of his work. I guess, I wanted to paint something that I'd enjoy hanging up on my wall and looking at from time to time.

This picture is all about my Slavic heritage- The paisley spirit hovers before the dreamer's hand. The audience participates in this- the hand could belong to them. The ghostly figures hover close by and are hidden in the woods. Above a sickle moon can be seen.
What a Medium sees: Oil on Canvas 16x20" for sale $200.00 USD



Paisley is more than just a fashion illustration-it is also all about inheritance-it symbolizes the seed- the beginning of life hidden in a pattern. In a way I am joining life and death together into one.

No comments:

Post a Comment